Games & Rules
Table Tennis is an individual age category competition which is divided into both men and women divisions.
- The competition will be a single elimination tournament.
- A match will consist of five games.
- The player winning the best of three out of five games in a match will advance in the tournament.
- All table tennis matches will be conducted in accordance with the USA Table Tennis Association rules.
- A game shall be won by the player scoring 11 points unless both players score 10 points, when the game shall be won by the first player subsequently gaining a lead of 2 points.
- The choice of ends and the right to serve or receive first in a match shall be decided by a coin toss and the winner may choose to serve or receive first or start at a particular end. After each 2 points have been scored the receiving player shall become the serving player and so on until the end of the game; unless both players score 10 points. If both players score 10 points the sequence of serving and receiving shall be the same but each player shall serve for only 1 point in turn.
- The player serving first in a game shall receive first in the next game of the match.
- The player starting at one end in a game shall start at the other end in the next game of the match and in the last possible game of a match the players shall change ends when the first one player scores 5 points.
- All matches shall consist of the best of three out of five games.
- Events are single elimination, with medals for first, second, and third.
- Play shall be continuous throughout.
- Players should not wear white or light-colored clothing. Clothing preferred should be dark, solid colors.
- Players are encouraged to use their own paddles. They must have rubber on each side. No wood or sandpaper surfaces are allowed.
- Service – The ball shall be placed in the palm of the free hand, which must be open and flat, with the fingers together and the thumb free. The free hand (serving hand) must remain above and behind the end of the table. Service shall begin by the server tossing the ball vertically upwards without spinning the ball. As the ball descends from the height of the toss, it is struck by the server so that the ball bounces once in the server’s court, goes over the net and bounces in the receiver’s court.
- A point is scored by the player that makes the last successful return prior to the end of the rally.
- Winners will be awarded and receive in each age category below the gold, silver and bronze medals.
- A table constructed of plywood measuring 9′ x 5′ with the surface 30” from the floor.
- A net measuring 66” x 5-1/2” high with 2/16” mesh.
- A paddle should have a 5-1/4” x 6-1/2” blade with a 5-1/4” handle. The paddle should have rubber on each side. No wood or sandpaper surfaces are allowed.
- USA Table Tennis Rules will prevail.
- Any circumstances not covered in these rules will be ruled upon by the Event Coordinator.