Games & Rules
Swimming: Butterfly – 50 yards
COMPETITION DIVISIONS: Swimming is an individual age category competition which is divided into both men and women divisions. Competitors will have warm-up time.
1. All of the following events are timed events.
2. If required, heats will be randomly drawn.
Freestyle 50 yards
Freestyle 100 yards
Freestyle 200 yards
Backstroke 50 yards
Backstroke 100 yards
Breaststroke 50 yards
Breaststroke 100 yards
Butterfly 50 yards
Individual Medley 100 yards
1. The forward start may be taken from the starting blocks, the pool deck or a push from the wall. The backstroke start is taken from the wall. Regardless of stroke, in all”IN-WATER STARTS” one hand must be kept on the wall prior to start. A false start will result in disqualification.
2. TURNS: The breaststroke and butterfly turns must be done with both hands touching simultaneously. The freestyle and backstroke events require some part of the body to touch the wall.
3. FREESTYLE: Swimmers must touch the wall at each turn and at the finish. Any stroke may be used and swimmers may switch strokes whenever they wish.
4. BACKSTROKE: There are no rules pertaining to arm or leg movements. The swimmer is allowed to turn over on his/her stomach during the turn prior to touching the wall.
5. BUTTERFLY: Appropriate stroke is required. The whip kick or dolphin kick may be used exclusively or interchangeably while doing the butterfly stroke at any time during the race.
6. INDIVIDUAL MEDLEY: The order of strokes in the individual medley is butterfly, backstroke, breaststroke, and freestyle. Rules for the individual strokes govern turns.
7. GENERAL: Any swimmer who uses improper methods in order to obtain an advantage over his/her competition will be disqualified from that event.
1. The three fastest times in each event will be winners for medals.
2. In case of ties, duplicate awards will be given.
3. Winners will be awarded and receive in each age category below the gold, silver, and bronze medals.
50-54 – 65-69 – 80-84 – 95+
55-59 – 70-74 – 85-89
60-64 – 75-79 – 90-94
1. U.S. Master Swimming Rules will govern this event.
2. Any circumstances not covered in these rules will be ruled upon by the Event Coordinator.