Games & Rules
Pickleball – Men
Pickleball is an age category, rated, doubles competition. When registering players will provide their age as well as their rating. Participants must find their own partner. The Golden Games will make no assignments.
Winners will be awarded gold, silver, and bronze medals in the following age categories according to their rating.
50-54 65-69 80-84 95+
55-59 70-74 85-89
60-64 75-79 90-94
SCHEDULE OF MATCHES:
1. Participants will be notified by a phone call or e-mail indicating the time for their first match. It is recommended that players arrive 15 minutes before their match time for registration.
2. A schedule of first round play will be available at the information desk prior to the opening of play.
3. During playing hours, the match schedule will be available at the event site.
4. Players will be defaulted if they have not signed in within 15 minutes after the starting time for their match.
1. All matches will be conducted in accordance with the IFP Official Tournament Rule book.
2. The server must keep both feet behind the baseline. The serve is made underhand with the paddle below the waist and the wrist. The serve is made diagonally cross-court and must clear the non-volley zone (kitchen). If the ball touches the net and lands outside the non-volley zone, it is a playable serve. In addition to the standard serve sequence, players may opt to use the drop serve method.
3. The server must call out the score to the opponents before serving the ball each time. At the start of each new game, only one player on the first serving team is permitted to serve and fault before giving up the ball to the opponents. Thereafter, both members of each team will serve. When the receiving team wins the serve, the player in the righthand court will always serve first. When the serving team wins a point, the server moves to the other side of the serving team’s court
4. DOUBLE BOUNCE RULE: When the ball is served, each team must play their first shot off the bounce. After the ball has bounced once on each side, both teams can either volley the ball in the air or play it off the bounce.
5. NON-VOLLEY ZONE (kitchen): It is the 7-foot zone on both sides of the net. No volleying is permitted within the zone. It is a fault if a player, while volleying, steps on or over the line. It is a fault if a player’s momentum takes them over the line into the zone. A player may enter the kitchen after the ball has bounced in the kitchen and play the ball.
6. LINE CALLS: A ball contacting any line, except the non-volley zone line on a serve, is considered in. Players call their own lines.
7. SCORING: Points are scored only by the serving team. Games are normally played to 11 points, win by 2. Tournament games may be to 15 points. The Event Director reserves the right to adjust game scoring in the effort of time.
8. Three numbers are shouted out on the serve. The server’s score, then the receiving team’s score, and the third number is the order of the server. Example: (5 – 4 -1): This means the serving team has 5 points, the receiving team has 4 points, and the server is the team’s first server since winning the serve.
9. FAULTS: A fault is any action that stops play because of a rule violation.
• The ball is hit into the net on the serve or any return
• The ball is volleyed before a bounce has occurred on each side
• The ball is hit out of bounds
• A ball is volleyed from the non-volley zone (kitchen)
• A player touches the net or net post when ball is in play
1. Participants provide their own pickleball paddles.
2. Balls are provided by the facility.
OFFICIALS: Any circumstances not covered in these rules will be ruled upon by the Event Coordinator.